Sunday, August 21, 2011

Texas Baby Shower (part 2)

 These are a great take a jalapeno popper. They're baked instead of fried, which if you  overlook all the cheese, that makes them pretty healthy! LOL! These are from, "Home Cooking with Trish Yearwood".

Jalapeno Bites

1 (8oz) cream cheese, softened
8 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
4 tablespoons seeded and chopped jalapeno peppers
1 large egg, beaten
3 cups dry bread crumbs ( I only used about 1 1/2 cups)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, jalapenos, and egg to form a paste. Shape into balls using about 1/2 teaspoon of paste for each. Roll the balls in the bread crumbs. Place on an ungreased baking sheet for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm.  Makes 36 bites.

I even put this in the fridge overnight before making into balls and they were easy to form!


Guacamole is to be eaten by the bowl. At least that is my opinion! I always feel like it's messy and hard to make, until I found this recipe ( you make it in a zip tip bag!) This recipe is from a Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication, "Recipe.com: Serving up Savings".

 Too-Easy Guacamole

2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded, peeled
2 tablespoons dairy sour cream
2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
sliced green onions
chopped tomatoes

Place avocado halves, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a sturdy resealable plastic bag. Seal bag. Knead bag with your hands to combine ingredients. Place in fridge until ready to use (up to 8 hours).

Snip a large corner of the bag and pipe into bowl. Garnish with tomatoes and onions! Makes about 1 1/2 cups.  Great for kids to make!

This dip was probably my husband Jake's favorite thing. I swear I saw him standing by this at least 5 or 6 times! I love that it uses black beans instead of refried beans. It's just a different take a traditional party favorite! This recipe comes from,"1001 Ways to Cook Southern".
 Layered Spicy Black Bean Dip

1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 (16 oz) jar spicy black bean dip
1/2 (8 oz) package shredded Mexican cheese blend
Toppings: sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes, sliced black olives

Layer cream cheese, dip, and cheese in a 1 qt. serving dish. Add toppings, serve with chips.

*** I found it hard to find the spicy black bean dip, but I did find a black bean and nacho sauce (Salpica) in the ethnic aisle at Walmart. You put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, then pour over cream cheese. It's heaven served warm!***


I have been making this dip for about as long as Jake and I've been married. This dip was actually served at a baby shower for me, that was hosted by my friend Kerri Campbell. It's a take on one that Paula Deen makes. I've changed it up a bit to make it a little less time consuming to make!
 Fruit Dip

1 (8oz) cream cheese softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons orange juice
1 (8 oz) tub whopped topping

Cream the cheese and powdered sugar together, adding OJ to thin. Fold in whipped topping. Serve with fruit of your choice. My favorites are apples, pineapple, and strawberries, but anything in season is great!!

This punch has been finding it's way to almost every shower and wedding in our family for about as long as I can remember. I requested that my Aunt Donnie make it for my baby shower with Scarlet. I'm now making it a tradition among all my fellow military spouses. This punch makes me think of a dear friend of mine, Jill Budenski. I made it for a Fall Festival at Jake's unit, adding gummy worms to make it a witch's brew. She loved it so much we had it at her baby shower and added gummy bears!
Green Punch (Witch's Brew)

1 large can limeade
1 2 liter Ginger Ale
1 container lime sherbet

Mix limeade and ginger ale together. Add lime sherbet using an ice cream scoop. If you are feeling festive, add gummy candy for your choice!

Keep coming back this week, as I'll be sharing my no fail baked chicken. It's better and easier than picking one up at the grocery store!!

No comments:

Post a Comment