Friday, August 5, 2011

My Daddy

If there ever was a meal that made me think of my Daddy it would be this one! I swear he could eat this stuff everyday and never get tired of it. My mom and I during one of many phone conversations during the day, often discuss what we are making for dinner. I swear she says soup beans at least once a week! This is usually what would be characterized in many cultures as peasant food, or poor people's food. In the South, it's just know as a staple!





Soup Beans
1 package dry Navy or Great Northern beans
Water
Smoked meat ( I like to use a smoked ham hock, but a few pieces of bacon can also be used, as long as it's something smoky, fatty, and salty!)

Rinse beans in cold water. Place beans in a large mixing bowl and cover with cold water. Allow beans to soak overnight. Pick through beans to make sure there are no bad beans, or debris of any kind. Rinse beans again and place in a slow cooker, along with the smoked meat of your choice. Cover once again in water and set slow cooker to low. Cook beans for about 8 hours, testing for tenderness about 6 hours in. Once beans are tender they may be placed on the warm setting until ready to eat. Beans may also be cooked on the stove placed at a simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours, or until tender. Personally, I learned from my Uncle Clay that soup beans are best with a dollop of Blue Plate mayonnaise! And for my Daddy, I always eat it with a slice of red onion too!



Salmon patties are another one of those foods that make me think of Daddy! We have been eating these things at our house for about as long as I can remember. I've even seen him eat these for breakfast with biscuits and gravy! These come from a cookbook I've mentioned before, "My Southern Food: A Celebration of the Flavors of the South". The author calls them Salmon Croquettes, but we've always called them Salmon Patties at our house! I think that these have the perfect balance. Who doesn't love something crispy and little spicy?!?!



Louisiana Hot Salmon Croquettes

1 (15.5 oz) can Salmon ( skinless, boneless), drained

2 large eggs

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or seasoning salt if you prefer)

1/2 medium onion, chopped fine

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 cup cornmeal


Combine the salmon, eggs, flour, Cajun seasoning, onion, garlic, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Roll the salmon mixture into balls about 2 inches in diameter and coat the balls with the cornmeal. Put the salmon balls int eh hot oil and press into patties, frying until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side. remove, drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.


Stay tuned, because who know what kinds of goodies I'll be cooking up this weekend! I'm thinking this rainy weather might need some Brunswick stew!





No comments:

Post a Comment