Thursday, August 11, 2011

Brunswick Stew

Brunswick stew has been a staple at almost every Southern BBQ joint for as long as I can remember. I've seen it mostly in NC and GA ( I never saw it on the menu of my favorite BBQ place in VA), but I'm sure it's served in other places as well. The orgins of Brunswick stew has been contested for centuries, but the one thing that holds true is that it originally was served with either rabbit or squirrel meat or a mixture of the two! LOL! Rabbit doesn't sound so bad, but I don't know if I could do squirrel.

I especially love it in the Fall when the air turns crisp. It's the perfect way to end the day, or to celebrate a big game (GO UGA)! What I love most about this recipe is that it goes in the crock pot, so you can put it on the in the morning and it's ready for you when you get home at the end of the day. This recipe is based on from a back issue of "Cooking with Paula Deen". Her recipe is little more complicated and time consuming, but does serve more people.



Brunswick Stew

2 cups roasted meat ( I use leftovers from a roasted chicken, pot roast, or a barbecued Boston Butt, or a mixture of the three)
3 medium potatoes, peeled, and coarsely chopped
1/2 large onion, diced
1 (15.25 oz) can corn, drained
1 (14.75 oz) creamed corn
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)

Place all ingredients in a crock pot and set to low. Cook for 6-8 hours or until potatoes are fork tender. Crock pot maybe turned to warm until ready to serve. I love this with a warm pan of cornbread or the garlic cheddar biscuits from my previous post!

I've already begun work on tomorrows special post about the movie The Help. So, come back and see the surprise!

P.S.
I've even seen my Aunt Donnie can Brunswick stew in the Summer, when all the ingredients are fresh from her garden, and have a great easy to heat weeknight meal come Winter!





No comments:

Post a Comment