Saturday, July 30, 2011

Enchiladas and CAKE!

So, leave it to me to rush off with my enchiladas and strawberry cake and not take a pic of them!! I guess you'll either have to make them or use your imagination this time.

These Enchiladas are probably my mom's favorite thing. She has requested that I make them pretty much every time I go home, and this was even her birthday meal once. This recipe comes from a cookbook that I've gone to many times for a quick and delicious meal. "Southern Living Fast Family Suppers", has too many amazing recipes to name. I'll probably even share a few more from it at some point down the road!

Weeknight Enchiladas

1 lb. ground chuck
1 small onion, chopped
1 910 3/4 oz.) can tomato soup, undiluted
1 (10 oz.) can mild enchilada sauce
8 (7 or 8 inch) flour tortillas
2 cups ( 8 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
Sour cream (optional)
Sliced ripe olives (optional)

Cook beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain and return to skillet.

Stir soup and enchilada sauce into meat mixture. Spread 1/4 cup meat mixture onto each tortilla; sprinkle evenly with 1 cup cheese. Roll up tortillas; place, seam side down, in a greased 13x9 baking dish. Pour remaining meat mixture over tortillas.

cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese; bake 5 more minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with sour cream and olives, if desired!


This cake is kind of a mixture of a couple of different strawberry cake recipes and a fruit dip that I absolutely adore! What I love about this cake is that it starts with a box mix, but adds lots of fresh fruit and light cream cheese frosting!

Strawberry Mixture
1 pint strawberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Cake
1 box strawberry cake mix; baked as directed ( Use milk instead of water when using a boxed mix. My mom taught me this, and it really does make a difference!)

Frosting
1 8 oz. block of cream cheese ( I always use 1/3 less fat cream cheese; it's better for you and I honestly can't tell the difference and neither can my husband!)
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 8 oz. container whipped topping
1-2 tablespoons orange juice

Slice strawberries and toss with granulated sugar. Refrigerate for at least and hour ( you want it to make a syrupy liquid).

Bake cake as directed. As soon as you remove cake from the oven, use either a wooden skewer or a fork to pierce the cake. Evenly pour strawberry mixture over warm cake. Let cool.

While cake is cooling, assemble frosting. With an electric mixer beat cream cheese and sugar. Lightly thin with orange juice. Fold in whipped topping. Spread evenly over cooled cake and refrigerate. Enjoy!

Stay tuned because I have a few goodies planned for this weekend. I'm even thinking of a monkey bread that has a cream cheese dip with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment