Friday, April 13, 2012

OKRA!!!

 There are lots of things to love about living in Alaska, but for a girl from the South, the worst part was not getting fresh okra! I only found it one time the whole 3 years we lived there, and that was only because Jake's Commander's wife was kind enough to text me an let me know that one of the local Safeway's had it. When I got there it was almost $7 a pound! I won't lie, I paid for over a pound of it. Best $7 dollars I have ever spent too! Thankfully one of the ups of living in the South again is that okra is in abundance. This week I actually found some at the commissary and knew I had to try a new recipes I had found in Southern Living's, "Comfort Food". To go with it I made something that always makes me think of my Aunt Abby, a layered salad. It's something I always secretly hope she brings to family get togethers, because no one makes it as good as she does. The recipe from Devon O'Day's "My Southern Food", comes pretty close! 

 Fried Okra

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
2 cups saltine cracker crumbs (2 sleeves)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon slat
1 pound fresh okra, cut in half lengthwise
oil
salt (optional)

 

Directions

Stir together buttermilk and egg. combine cracker crumbs, flour, and salt. dip okra pieces in buttermilk mixture; dredge in cracker crumb mixture.

Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a dutch oven or cast-iron skillet; heat to 375 degrees. Fry okra, in 3 batches, 2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt, if desired.


Seven Layer Salad

Ingredients


1 pound bacon
1 large head iceberg lettuce or 2 head crisp romaine lettuce, chopped
1 large Bermuda onion, chopped
1 (10 oz) package frozen green peas, thawed
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
10 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded

 

Directions

 

Fry or broil bacon, drain on paper towels, crumble, and set aside. In a large clear bowl, layer the lettuce, onion, peas, bell pepper, mayonnaise, and cheese. Top with the bacon crumbles. Cover with plastic wrap and chill.


This weekend we are taking the kids to pick strawberries! You know what that means: JAM!!


No comments:

Post a Comment